In Real Life - Martin's Inspiration

Martin is real to me, because he's so closely modeled after my priest-friend, Charlie. The real-life Martin is a charming man,  kind,  thoughtful and talented - so talented! He's spiritual and mystical and playful and he counts his blessings, sincerely, every day. He's retired now, and asthma has ruined his singing voice and his ability to play the flute and whistle, he says, but he still plays the concertina, traveling to Irish events all over the globe.

I received a Christmas card from him and in his signature fashion, he decorated the envelope. The stamp was the Madonna and Child. An angel sticker was in one corner. The return address was Monsignor Charles ****. And in the lower right hand corner - a yellow smiley face.

3 comments:

NYC Utopia said...

Aww... thanks for sharing!
My heart did a little jump when I saw this title in my RSS feed...

Krista said...

Awwww, that's cool! Thanks for sharing! :)

-Krista

Anonymous said...

He's such a sweetheart. I'm so lucky to know him. Thanks for looking!